Thursday, October 11, 2012

Words FTW!

Mommy Thoughts
We've been walking after dinner for the last couple of weeks.  We strap Bo into his carseat and drop it into the stroller frame and push him around the neighborhood.  He blows bubbles at the sky while Cam and I talk about how handsome he is.  He enjoys the fresh air, and the gentle bumpity bump of the stoller soothes him.  It's good for us, and it's a lot cheaper than driving him around.

I want Bo to see us staying active.  I want exercise to be a part of his life.  I don't want him parked in front of a computer or a TV screen.  I'm guilty of it, but he makes me want to be a better person.  He's watching us.  He's learning from us.  He'll pick up our habits - good or bad.  No pressure there, eh?

State of the Bebe
Bo will be 7 weeks old tomorrow.  He tracks Cameron and me as we walk around a room.  He turns towards our voices.  He's curious.  He likes to lift his head off my shoulder and look around.  He's not completely sturdy yet, but he can definitely hold his head up for brief stretches.  He likes to watch shadows on the wall.  He's a waterbug, and a bath always calms him.  He doesn't mind water on his face.  He shows the most interest in the blue cow rattle - or maybe he likes to hear me moo.  He's drooling.  A LOT.  Teething?  This soon?  I hope not.

Routines
This week, I've really gotten back on the FlyLady bandwagon.  I've successfully completed a morning and evening routine 3 days this week.  It's Thursday, and we're heading into the weekend with the laundry done and the house clean.  That means that I can spend Saturday and Sunday snuggling and napping unapologetically with Bo.  Not only is the house in good order, but I managed to finish writing thank you notes for baby gifts. 

Exhaustion
I thought that I was sleep deprived in college.  I pulled all-nighters, and attended the occasional late party.  Having a newborn takes it to a new level.  I haven't slept through the night since somewhere around my second trimester.  Bo is only waking up twice a night now, and I think Cam and I may survive infant induced sleep deprivation without deep emotional scarring.

Breastfeeding
Baby Bo is still primarily a boobie baby.  I always feed him when I'm not at work, and I'm allowed 2 lactation breaks during the work day.  We supplement with formula when it's necessary, and I don't feel guilty about it.  There are a couple of things that I didn't anticipate about breast feeding. 

Firstly, people seem to feel awkward about it.  I'm not even talking about being in the presence of a breastfeeding baby.  I'm talking about TALKING about it.  I don't know if they get mental images that make them uncomfortable or what.  I think it's beautiful.  I've taken photos so I'll always remember.  (I promise not to share.)

Secondly, I had no idea how much work breastfeeding is.  It seemed to me to be the most natural thing in the world, and to me anything natural should be easy.  I suppose that not having to mix formula or wash bottles does make life easier, but knowing that a tiny person depends on you completely is exhausting.  We've made it this far.  I'll keep it up for as long as I can.  I'm in awe of women who breastfeed for a year or more.  Someone has to explain to me how that works with teeth. 

Smile!
I made an appointment this week with a new dentist.  There was a fancy coffee machine in the waiting room.  One of those Keurig type things that make one cup of yummy coffee at a time.  I didn't examine it closely, but I swear that I saw a Milky Way variety.  YUM.  I didn't feel right coating my mouth with creamy, sugary coffee before some poor hygenist poked around in there.  I didn't want to drink coffee right after my cleaning.  I feel that I'm entitled to a cup of their complimentary coffee though.  Think they'd notice if I strolled in before work tomorrow?  Think anyone would care?  Mmmm... coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I think your blog is making me crazy.

    I find myself reading, and mentally replying or asking questions and really really wishing you could answer me. In any case, I love your blog, it makes me feel like we just sat down over coffee and had a chat. One day we'll actually do it in person! Promise!
    xoxoxo Bean

    ReplyDelete