Friday, August 3, 2012

10 things about ME!


It’s official – I’m a little obsessed.  I’ve started reading blogs – not just blogs of people that I know – but blogs of people at random.  It started as curiosity – I just wanted to know what other people wrote about and what their blogs look like.  Then I realized that there are all these women out there who are blogging, and I have things in common with them!  Could be pregnancy or stepchildren or just seeking inspiration on how to be a better Christian wife.  Knowing that there are people out there who have the same struggles, triumphs, and occasional losses makes me feel better about my life.  I’m going to give all credit to Jenni from the Blog for this – 10 things about me (before the baby comes and no one cares about me anymore.)  Just kidding.  I think.  Also, I’m going to try my best to leave pregnancy out of this – but it’s harder than it sounds at this point.  Let’s go!

Home Sweet Logging Camp - Ketchikan, AK
1.  I live in Georgia, and I love it.  I’ve lived in California and Tennessee with holdovers in Oregon, Alaska, Florida, and Africa.  I’ve done my share of travelling, and one day I’ll strike out again.  Wanderlust runs in my family. 


2.  I was always one of those smart kids in school.  I was tested in kindergarten, deemed ‘gifted’ and got to spend a couple of hours a week doing word puzzles and the like.  I was the salutatorian in my graduating class.  As an adult, it doesn’t seem to make much difference.  My husband says that my logic doesn’t make sense to anyone but me, and left vs. right still sometimes escapes me.  I married one of the smartest people that I’ve ever known.  He challenges me and makes me think critically (even when I’d rather not).  I love him for it.

3.  I work 40+ hours a week for a logistics company.  I was promoted to Account Manager about 3 months ago.  I don’t blog about work.  It’s not that interesting anyway.

4.  I wish I was one of those people who just seem to be born organized.  I’m not.  I’m scattered and always seem to have something better to do than clean or organize anything.  I wanted my life in order, but I just couldn’t figure it out.  I found FlyLady about 6 months ago, and I am now proud to have people come over and visit.

5.  I have a B.A. from Mercer University in Leadership and Community Service (specializing in non-profit business) with a minor in French.  (Go Bears!) I spent 2 years living the sorority life, but it was too much of a time commitment once I moved off campus and got a job.  I believed for some time that I had spoiled any relationships that I might have had with my ADPi sisters for not making it work, but 10 years later, they are some of my nearest and dearest friends.  The last two years of my college career were devoted to historic houses, waiting tables, WesleyFoundation, and this girl.

Pi Love for life!



6.  When I was 15, I met a boy on the interwebs.  We had just gotten AOL, and I was kind of a rebel.  He and I corresponded via email for sometime, then progressed to late night chats on the telephone.  I think it was late in my Junior year of high school that I met him face to face, and I’ll say that I fell in love with him then – though – I probably loved him for some time before that.  We were friends until the summer after my Freshman year of college.  We went our separate ways, learned a few things about life, and grew into adults who knew what they wanted.  In 2009, we reconnected.  In 2010, we moved to Nashville, TN.  In 2011, we moved back to Georgia and got married.  We are expecting our first son a few weeks before our 1 year anniversary.  His big brother and sister are anxiously awaiting his arrival. 

Once upon a long, long time ago!


7.  I have trouble saying ‘no’.  I love to volunteer for things, and I tend to get myself in over my head. 



8.  I am a Christian.  I was raised in the Methodist Church, and I consider the congregation there to be just another part of my huge, extended family.   I am a member of CrossviewCommunity Church, and I serve in the Preschool.  

9.  I am a sucker for puppies.  I am a sucker for dogs.  I have to ration the cute puppy photos that I allow myself on my Facebook because I’m pretty sure that if I posted everything that made me melt with cute, I’d start losing friends.  I adopted Gus from the Walmart parking lot 4 years ago.  Per the little girl who gave him to me, “His daddy was a lab, and his mama was a FOX.”  My mom thinks that he belongs to her, and he wouldn’t be very happy in our little house.  I settle for dog-sitting when she goes out of town.

My favorite puppy and my beautiful sissy!  Double win!

10.  I don’t have much of a filter.  I’m incredibly adept at saying ridiculously inappropriate things at all the wrong times.  My friends think I’m funny.  They say that they love me fiercely, but I think they may just keep me around for entertainment.  It’s easier to keep in check when I’m writing instead of talking, so if you want the true experience, you’ll have to take me to dinner or something.  (I like Chinese food...)





8 comments:

  1. I had no clue that's how you met your husband! Such an awesome story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahaha - I was online dating before online dating was cool. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ahh ... your comment about my friends think I'm funny reminds me of Susan and her "funny friends" comment ... remember how we always wanted to meet them? ;) Good times. Also ... I bet these aren't the 10 Things your friends would pick to write about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Still* waiting to meet Susan's funny friends. I don't believe they exist. Also - I'm stupid curious to know what YOU would pick to write about me, but terrified to give you license at the same time. :)

      Delete
  3. Well it's nice to meet you Janie! Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you! Hope you aren't offended - I'm still learning about the badges and buttons and whatnot - I will figure it out before I link up to another one! Thanks for letting me play along anyhow! :)

      Delete
  4. LOOOVE your love story. omg I can't even begin to talk about all the AOL chat stories from way back when (or how many people I shouldn't have but did meet offline).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was one of those smart kids too! And it totally means NOTHING in the real world, does it? I think motivation is the key, of which I have none! :) I found flylady awhile back also, but I only got as far as cleaning the kitchen sink... And I'm totally with you on having no filter - although you're blessed to have friends who love you anyway - my experience has been that saying whatever comes into your brain helps you figure out who your true friends are!

    ReplyDelete