Friday, August 17, 2012

My Intervention


Since being placed on husband-enforced couch rest for the 15 hours per day that I am not at work, I sit after work and stare longingly at hot spots in my house that just need a touch up before Baby Bo’s arrival.  Cameron does an excellent job of taking care of things – he is a smart guy and learns quickly.  Gone are the days when he didn’t know how to turn on the vacuum or which of my clothes CANNOTGOINTHEDRYER!  Keep in mind that if I sound like I am complaining, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that any issues that I have stem strictly from the fact that in my mind, no one can keep my house like I can. 

Last weekend, my aunt and my cousin offered to come over and help me set up my baby spaces.  Our house has limited square footage, and while Bo and Tyler will share a bedroom, I do NOT want Tyler to feel displaced by the new baby at all.  The crib and a dresser will go into Tyler’s room, but for the foreseeable future, Baby Bo will reside in a bassinet in our room.  I had plans to keep his clothes and a changing station in our room.  I was a little overwhelmed by what seemed to me to be 7 million tiny decisions and by my admitted lack of any decorative eye.  After 2 amazing showers, there were clothes, toys, nursery decorations, and all the miscellaneous baby things that inevitably go with bringing home baby.

We decided that Auntie M and Rebecca would come over on Wednesday evening, and we’d put everything in its place.  By Tuesday evening, it was clear to me that I was not going to be comfortable having anyone in my house in its current condition.  Cameron assured me that everything would be just fine, that no one expected my house to be spotless, and that he would clean Wednesday morning before work.  Wednesday morning, I texted Rebecca to tell her that I just couldn’t do it.  I just couldn’t have them at my house.  She asked me to call her, which I did.  She informed me in no uncertain terms that this was an INTERVENTION.  They were coming.  They were bringing dinner, and I just needed to tell her what I wanted for dinner.  (This might have lead to another mini-breakdown where I begged her to just bring ANYTHING for dinner as long as I didn’t have to make a decision.)

At 5:30PM, I arrived home from work and under strict orders from Rebecca, I changed my clothes, but I cleaned nothing.  Thankfully, Cameron - true to his word - had basically cleaned the entire house.  I sat down and wrote a few thank you notes and waited for the reinforcements.  They arrived with spaghetti (all ingredients fresh from the farm), garlic bread, AND dessert.  Once we had eaten and talked Bumbo recalls and baby shoes, we moved into my bedroom.

Rebecca refolded all my onesies.  Apparently there's an art to it.

  We sorted through ALL the baby stuff.  They helped me decide what needed to stay in arm’s reach and what could be put away for a while.  

Major life lesson: Diapers can NOT live in the linen closet.

They hung decorations and took tags off of toys.  

Auntie M made the quilt!  Super cute.  Letters were crafted by One Rad Mother and Mellow.

Thanks for these also goes to One Rad Mother.  She's amazing.

Basket of fun!

Super awesome wash cloth dinosaurs, made by Ben, for my diaper cake.   Love them.


Auntie M made a trip to the closest store for Rubbermaid drawers and baskets for sorting.  

Thank you, Margaret!!

We laughed.  We talked about packing a hospital bag.  We looked at bringing home baby outfits.  We oohed and aahed over onesies with whales that said “Little Squirt”.  We worked until almost 9PM.  Then we ate dessert. 

As quickly as they came, they were gone – leaving me tired and thankful for my family and friends who don’t take ‘no’ for an answer. 

*** Edited to Add*** 

The finished product!!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time - what a wonderful way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete