Monday, September 24, 2012

1 Month Ago Today: The (Abridged) Birth Story

Exactly a month ago now, I was being prepped for surgery.  I had never had surgery.  I was trying to be brave, but I was terrified.  I was about to meet my son.  Things were getting real, and it was happening fast.

It was a Friday night, and we had been at the hospital since Wednesday.  Cameron had driven me to the hospital to return a 24 hour lab.  Call me naive, but it never occurred to me that we wouldn't leave.  They hooked me up to a machine to monitor my blood pressure and Bo's heartbeat.  We sat and listened to his heart beat.  I had blood drawn for labs.

We played Words with Friends.

We waited.

Cameron went to get fried chicken and a sausage biscuit.  We ate in triage.  A nurse told us that we weren't leaving.  When a room opened up in labor and delivery, we'd be heading there.  After she left, another nurse came in and told us that she had our discharge papers, and that I should get dressed - so I did.  We walked out, and were met by our original nurse who looked incredibly confused.  We probably looked confused too. 

We stayed.

We waited. 

We played more Words with Friends.

Cameron left to get our hospital bag, and I was moved to L & D.  A nurse tried to put an IV in the back of my hand.  It was excruciating... and it didn't work.  She took it out, and I broke down.  I cried because my hand was on fire and I knew she'd have to do it again.  I cried because it was dark out and Cameron was not back.  I cried because I was terrified of giving birth.

We waited for Cameron to get back.  I just needed him.  I couldn't have done any of this without him.

For the next 2 days, a slew of doctors and nurses tried to induce labor. 

By Friday night, they recommended that we have a cesarean section.  I had fought it.  I had prayed.  I did not want someone cutting into me.   That was not in my plan.

I was shocked at how quickly it happened - everything else had happened at a snail's pace.  I was prepped for surgery and had another visit from the anesthesiologist. 

And then my bed broke.  I wanted someone to let my head down, but when the button was pushed, nothing happened.  I cried some more.

I was wheeled to surgery.  They took me in and left Cameron outside.  The anesthesiologist came to give me the spinal block and discovered that my epidural had fallen out. 

They strapped me to a table.  I cried.  I told Cameron I was going to be sick.  I told him I was going to pass out.  I told him that my arms were numb and that I wasn't going to be able to hold my baby.  He told me that I'd be fine.  I believed him. 

I felt some pressure, and then I felt lighter.  I heard gurgling.  I panicked.  Turns out it was normal.  He was perfectly normal. 

Bo was born at 10:56 PM on August 24th.  So much happened in that 2 days, but I've already started to forget.  I know it was worth it.  I know I'd do it again.  I'm one month in, and I can't imagine life without him.

Time flies.


  1. He is so amazing! I am so so happy for you guys! As a friend and a fellow parent, its made my heart happy to see how you just revel in the joy of being a parent and experiencing that LOVE like no other. It really can't be put into words but you do a good job with this blog thing. I love ya girl! So happy for y'all!

  2. When Trip was first born I would sometimes feel this great tidal wave of pure Love wash over me when I was holding him. And I would clutch him to my chest and just savor that powerful, awesome feeling. I was just so scared that as he grew I wouldn't feel that swell anymore - surely feelings that strong don't stay connected to someone forever! But you, I think they do. I think we'll always love these boys exactly as we love them now. (woah.) Congrats on your new Love! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox.