Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Home again. Home again. Jiggety jig.

Since my last update, I've been moved down to the maternity wing.  I had been told fairly clearly that I should just NOT prepare myself to go home.  Based on everything that was going on, I was told that I had 3 options.

  1. Tests come back looking dangerous.  Emergency cesarean section.
  2. Tests come back looking fine.  I go home.
  3. Tests come back borderline.  I stay on the maternity hall until things start looking dangerous or 37 weeks.
As the doctor presented me with these options, he made it very clear that he did NOT expect me to go home and he did NOT expect me to make it to 37 weeks.  According to him, preeclampsia does not get better until delivery.  It only will get worse from here.  In his words, "it could be a matter of hours, days, or weeks."  He didn't believe I'd take a turn for the worse in hours or weeks.  I can't tell you how relieving it is to have a doctor just break it down for you in a realistic sort of way.

I wasn't happy, but I resigned myself to make the best of my next days or (God forbid) weeks on the maternity hall.  All the tests were back and stable.  Baby passed another biophysical profile.  (Ultrasound tech estimates that Cheeks is 7 pounds +/- 1 pound and measuring at 37 weeks.  If she's right, Cheeks is already bigger than Bo at birth!)  Proteinuria had not increased at all.  Blood work all looked normal.  My blood pressure was bouncing around a little, but mostly steady.

I moved out of L&D and down to the M Wing.  I got settled in for who-knows-how-long.  

That's when things changed.  I had had dinner and settled in to watch some TV when the doctor came back.  He told me that my last proteinuria test was not actually correct.  They had simply re-read my last results.  My new results weren't even in yet.  I was terrified.  I've read many many horror stories of people going from levels like mine (low 400's - preeclampsic but barely) to the THOUSANDS (dangerous and ready for emergency cesarean immediately) overnight.  He was done with his rotation, but said that someone would get me the results that night.

I waited.  It wasn't too long before the nurse came back to tell me that my levels were down in the 200's!  Not even preeclampsic levels!  The nurse called the new rotation doctor to tell her of the change.  The doctor came to visit me and told me that based on all the evidence, she couldn't see a good reason for me to stay.  She told me that she'd be comfortable discharging me immediately, but that if I was agreeable (and because it was already 7PM) that she'd like it if I'd stay the night and do a few more blood pressure checks.  I agreed.

I couldn't believe how quickly the news changed!  I was going home!  I AM going home!  Hopefully I'll be heading back through town at the right time to pick up Bo from school!  I'll be back on the couch, but I'll be home.  

Baby Cheeks is coming soon - but not now!

No comments:

Post a Comment