Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Goodbye, World, Goodbye.

I have decided that it doesn't matter how prepared you are to say goodbye to someone, when it actually happens - when that person finally shuffles off this mortal coil and goes home, it won't be easy.  The selfish tears will come.  On Saturday, July 7th, my last remaining grandparent went to be with Jesus.  It hasn't been easy to watch her slip away in these final years.  I'm sure that I am not the only one who has had moments of wishing that she'd leave behind her ailing body and mind.  She told me - in the last month - that what she wanted was her freedom.


There are so many things to say about her - and to her, but I can't seem to find the words.  I, and the other grandchildren, were asked if we'd like to speak at her memorial - or even to write a letter to her.  Much as I hate to not take the opportunity, anything that I have to say to her is between us.  I always felt that we understood each other, and she has been my confidante on more occasions than I can count right now.


Selfishly, I wish that she could have hung around - long enough to meet her first great-grandson at least.  I know that she'll see him, though.  I know that she'll watch him grow.  I know that she'll love him - and we'll always love her.


Partners in Crime

7 comments:

  1. That was beautiful JJ.

    Simple & Sweet. xxxx I am so glad I got to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk, for her as much as for you. I would want to listen to anything you would say. I really have been thinking about everyone out there a lot the past couple of days. I just wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you - miss you - will see you soon, I'm sure. You do lots, just by thinking of us. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Talk, for her as much as for you. I would want to listen to anything you would say. I really have been thinking about everyone out there a lot the past couple of days. I just wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so sweet. When I heard, I was sad for you and Bo, too. But you are right, she will still know him and love him. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

    ReplyDelete